Bergen County Academies
|Frequently Asked Questions|
The Bergen County Academies (BCA), one of four secondary schools in the Bergen County Technical Schools District, is a free public magnet high school of choice for Bergen County residents, located on the Dr. John Grieco Campus in Hackensack, New Jersey. The school offers seven specialized programs in the areas of mathematics and science, engineering and design, medical science, business and finance, culinary arts and hospitality administration, visual and performing arts, and technology and computer science.
If you are interested in applying:
- Must be a resident of Bergen County. If accepted, you must be registered in your town’s school district regardless of the middle school you attend.
- Only 8th grade students can apply.
- If accepted, student will begin 9th grade year in September 2017.
- Transferring into Bergen County Academies is not permitted.
All Open House sessions are over for 2016-2017.
Interested eighth grade students should go to studentadmissions.bergen.org to begin their application.
The application deadline is Thursday, December 15, 2016.
For information about the Academies, please go to the Admission home page at www.bergen.org. You may read and print “Guide to the Academies” booklet and the “Guide to Applying” booklet.
Open House Session Highlights
- 2-Hour Sessions 11:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m.
- Tour of Campus *
- Overview of all seven Academies
- Opportunity to meet Administration, Faculty and Academy Students
* Please note that all tours are general, to give visitors a sense of the size of the campus and an idea of the many opportunities that are available. There are no academy-specific tours. Unfortunately, it is not feasible to honor requests to see a particular room or academy during the thirty-minute tours.
Who should attend Academy Open House?
Seventh and Eighth grade students who are interested in learning more about our seven academies should attend. At the Open Houses, students will be asked which academy they are most interested in touring. We highly recommend that the powerpoints / information (below) for the academies are viewed to help the students decide.
Students interested in applying to the Bergen County Academies must reside in Bergen County, be in the 8th grade, and if accepted, will begin 9th grade in September 2017. Transferring into Bergen County Academies is not permitted.
Due to the volume of information covered during the Open House sessions, we request that no children under the age of 7 attend.
Descriptions of academies
- Next >>